How to watch the Ninjago cartoons on your iDevice
Aanchir rightly suggests that I should watch the cartoons to remedy that. Unfortunately they were never shown on UK TV because the rules here state that kids' TV programmes can't be about pre-existing toys. (the cartoon must come first before the toys, not the other way round as is the case with these: they are, after all, just long adverts).
They are available to view at ninjago.LEGO.com, but in Flash format which of course means they can't be viewed on an Apple device. There are some episodes on YouTube but the ones I found have been ripped from TV and have massive channel logos etc. on them which is unacceptable to me.
It's not much fun sitting in front of a PC, even a laptop, watching videos, so I looked round for a technical solution. There is one, that works well, but it will cost you a few bucks. I figured others might be interested in how to do it, so I'm documenting it here for you. Here goes...
- Fire up your FireFox browser and download and install FLV Movies downloader
- Go to the UK Ninago site (the 2012 cartoons are not listed on the US one for some reason)
- Start to play the first few seconds of each of the 13 episodes. This is enough for the downloader to detect their URL
- On FireFox's menu: Tools | Download flv | Show detected movies. You should see a list of at least the 13 episodes with names like E0110_1080p_480x270.f4v (which is episode 10)
- Click on each one in turn and click on the Download file button on the right
- All 13 movies will be downloaded to your PC. They are about 120Mb each.
Now, on your iDevice, download GoodPlayer video player, which'll cost you £1.99 or $2.99. There may well be free ones around that will work, but one great thing about this one is that you can transfer the video files to it over wifi without needing to faff about with iTunes.
So, I renamed the downloaded videos to something consistent and copied them via wifi to my iPad and I'm now all set to enjoy them and become enlightened :-)
I hope you found that useful. Our normal LEGO news service will be resumed as soon as possible...